The Alberta School Fees and Costs Regulation allows School Districts to charge fees under certain circumstances and conditions. Fees in Catholic Schools are permitted in accordance with Administrative Procedures 505.
Fees are categorized as follows:
- Transportation fees:Amounts charged for transportation to and from school in accordance with the School Transportation Regulation This includes but is not limited to transportation fees for students that are not eligible for Provincial transportation funding. Eligibility is defines as students residing 2.4 km or more from their designated school and attending such school. The non-eligible transportation fees for School Year 2018-19 is set at $35 per month.
- Technology user fees: Amounts charged for use or rental of computers, iPads, or other electronic devices; fees assessed to cover the cost of software applications or infrastructure. The FMCSD does not charge any Technology User Fees for School Year 2018-19.
- Alternative program fees: Amounts charged under Section 21(4) of the School Act, a program that emphasizes a specific culture, religion, or subject matter or uses a particular teaching philosophy, including sports-related academies. Fees classified here are in addition to fees charged to students who are not in an alternative program. Students enrolled in Catholic Schools Academy Programs are charged an Program Fees which varies depending on the Academy program.
- Non-curricular travel: Travel, accommodation, & admission associated with extended (overnight) optional non-curriculum travel for arts, athletic events, international travel. Catholic Schools do charge fees for some non-curricular travel to cover some of the incremental costs related to each activity
- Early Childhood Services: Full day or progressive Early Childhood Services programs that provide greater hours of instruction than required (475 hours per year). Parents of children registered in the optional Enhanced (Full Day) Kindergarten Program are required to pay $200 per month. An annual fee of $500 per year is also charged for non-funded children registered in the Early Entry Program.
- Extracurricular fees: Some Fees are collected to participate in some from clubs, sports teams, intramurals, or other programs
designed to broaden scholastic experience.
- Activity fees: Transportation, admission, accommodation, and other charges for field trips or special events (including in-school clinicians & presenters) usually associated with curriculum.
- Non curricular goods and services: Fees charged to parents in exchange for goods or services common to most students or a cohort within the population, including locker rental, locks, student ID, uniforms, gym strip, library, agendas, student union, insurance,
graduation ceremony fees charged to all graduating students, parent-teacher associations, and fitness fees not associated with curriculum.
- Other fees to enhance education: Fees related to provide additional support to students toward educational programs not described or covered by the preceding fee categories. Examples may include additional exam preparation fees or tutoring
The list of fees in effect in Fort McMurray Catholic Schools in provided in Schedule A of AP 505.