Wood Buffalo RCMP share friendly reminder for back-to-school safety
Wood Buffalo, Alta – Wood Buffalo RCMP are reminding the public that schools are back in session, which means there will be an increase in pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicle traffic on the roads and walkways throughout our region. Road safety is a shared responsibility. Do your part this back to school season to make sure students and staff get to school and work safely.
Wood Buffalo RCMP share some tips to increase everyone’s safety this school year:
- School and playground speeds zones are in effect.
- School zones are 30 km/h, and are in effect every school day from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Slow speeds are there for everyone’s safety, as slower speeds improve your reaction time.
- When a school bus is flashing its alternating red lights, stop and do not pass. Children may be on or off-loading, which means they may cross the road.
- Share the road with cyclists. Be patient when following and provide extra space when passing cyclists.
- When pedestrians are crossing the street, come to a complete stop and do not block the crosswalk with your vehicle. Ensure pedestrians have cleared the road before proceeding.
- Do not park within 10 meters of either side from a cross walk. This pocket of space allows children and drivers to see each other and increases safety.
- Always follow the direction of crossing guards. Crossing guards are there to keep children safe.
- Kids can easily become distracted and unaware of their surroundings. Keep your eyes up and watch for children, especially during school operating hours.
- Drivers are reminded to slow down, be alert and make safe choices.
Wood Buffalo RCMP wishes all students, staff, parents and guardians a safe and healthy 2021-2022 school year.