Good morning Fort McMurray Catholic Schools families,
After our staggered entry week and 3 weeks of school we are off to a great start to the 2021/22 school year! At the same time we are also thankful for your grace and patience as we continue to navigate these times.
We do have a few updates/reminders to share with you today.
Alberta Health Daily Checklist:
- This week Alberta Health updated the Alberta Health Daily Checklist. We wish to highlight that this updated checklist has a new question: Has your child been a household contact of a case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days? If the answer is “YES” AND they are NOT fully immunized the Child should stay home and NOT attend school, childcare and/or other activities for 14 days from the last day of exposure and monitor for symptoms.
- Alberta Health defines a household contact as: “a person who lives in the same residence as the case OR who has been in frequent, long-duration, close-range interaction with a case of COVID-19. For example, siblings, someone who slept over, or someone who provided direct physical care to the child.”
Notification of Positive Cases:
- A friendly reminder that we are now providing classes notification of positive cases. Fort McMurray Catholic Schools is making the decision to inform class families when we receive word of a confirmed case that was potentially infectious while in school. We recognize this may be imperfect and will be based on the honour system.
- Our Division will as always endeavour to maintain the privacy of those who receive positive test results, as well as be as transparent as possible and share information in the public interest about cases of which we are made aware.
- We encourage families to make us aware when a child tests positive. When/if families report a positive case to the school, you are providing consent for the school to send out a notice to specific classes. You would have the opportunity to withdraw this consent by speaking with your school.
- AHS continues to investigate outbreaks in schools. AHS has defined an outbreak as an absentee rate of over 10% due to influenza or respiratory illness. Should an outbreak be declared at your school, you will be sent additional information via email.
- If you are eligible to be vaccinated we strongly encourage you to do so. Information and the ability to book a vaccination appointment are readily available through AHS and local pharmacies.
The COVID-19 situation in our region and province continues to evolve and we are in regular communication with Alberta Education, Alberta Health Services, and school divisions across the province.
Fort McMurray Catholic Schools