December 11, 2020
To our Fort McMurray Catholic Schools families,
We continue to be deeply appreciative of the grace, patience, and compassion shared with the Fort McMurray Catholic Schools family.
This is an uneasy time for many with new restrictions, especially at this time of year. Fort McMurray Catholic Schools is preparing for the week of January 4-8, 2021 which will be off-site instruction.
We wish to share this information with you now, to give you as much time to prepare as possible. We also ask for your understanding in that all plans are subject to change in this COVID-19 environment.
Early Entry Program- Grade 6:
- Off-site Instruction will occur from January 5-8
- PLF day will change from January 8 to January 4, 2021
- No changes to the Virtual Learning Academy schedule
- The method of delivery will differ depending on the grade level, the subject/topic and access to technology
- The necessary accommodations will be made for students without access to computer/internet
- Families will receive further communication directly from their classroom teacher and school
Grades 7-12 Scenario #3: Off-Site Instruction:
- Instruction will occur January 4-8, 2021 (PLF on January 8 was rescheduled to November 30, 2020)
- Grade 7-12 students will continue to receive instruction in scenario #3 (off-site instruction) as they have been since December 1, 2020
- No changes for our Virtual Learning Academy and Sacred Heart Outreach program
Important to note:
- Specialized Programs will continue in class January 5-8th, 2021. PLF will be on January 4. (This includes ILP and Vocational Education programs)
- High School Support Centre- Support will continue virtually or in person. In person support will be by appointment and on an individual basis (no groups)
- CTS- High School students will be permitted to complete their CTS project in the school for Welding, Automotive, Robotics or Carpentry if an isolated work space can be provided. This will occur on scheduled visits only.
- Counselling can continue virtually or in-person. All in-person meetings will follow all COVID-19 protocols
Out of School Care Program
- FMCSD OSC will provide full day programming from Monday to Friday (January 4-8) for children already registered in the program
Please be assured we will continue to work closely with Alberta Health Services to ensure we follow their ongoing recommendations.
We continue to remind families to monitor for any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 using the Alberta Health Screening Questionnaire. Please remember to complete the checklist each day. If you or a member of your family has any of the symptoms of illness listed, please fill out the online Alberta Health Services COVID-19 self-assessment or call Health Link at 811.
Merry Christmas to everyone and thank you for your continued support.
George McGuigan, Fort McMurray Catholic Schools Superintendent