FMCSD Outreach Overview Grade 10-12
*** Deadline for FMCSD Outreach Registration- Monday August 23rd, 2021 at noon
FMCSD Outreach provides flexible, innovative programming to help students realize success in their educational and career goals. This program focuses on students’ individual needs in grades 10-12 (up to 20 years of age) who are at risk of not completing school, mainly due to factors that have affected regular school attendance.
FMCSD Outreach is also available for students wishing to UPGRADE after completing grade 12. Students wishing to upgrade will need to complete our registration form. To remain in our program, upgrading students need to be active and complete assignments by the deadline dates. Students will be removed from the program after 6 weeks of inactivity.
At FMCSD Outreach, we have a welcoming inclusive learning environment. We support high academic students as well as those who may be at risk of not graduating in a traditional school environment. Programming is available for students to earn an Alberta High School Diploma or an Alberta High School Certificate of Achievement.
The unique learning environment of our program offers a number of benefits:
- Flexible scheduling which includes in-school and out-of-school learning where attendance expectations are significantly reduced.
- Small numbers of students with plenty of individualized assistance that meets their learning needs.
- Students are given flexibility to work at the best pace for their ability, their motivation, and their personal, home and work situations.
- Students work toward obtaining their high school diploma, but they can choose which courses they take and when they take them.
- Students have access to specialized services, such as school-developed courses that are designed to meet some of the students’ personal needs.
- Students will participate in unique learning opportunities to build community.
- Mental Health support is available for students in this program. Support with referrals to other professionals may be completed for students if services are required and available.
- Connecting students to outside agencies and resources including those that help with managing medical and mental health issues.
Diploma courses will have specific timelines and dates for assessments as required by Alberta Education. Diploma examinations will be delivered and monitored in our facility. All grade 10-12 courses require students to come into the facility to complete diploma exams and authentic assessments twice per semester (midterm and final exam) for all core subjects.
Role of Students
Once accepted into the program, students are required to meet the expectations of FMCSD Outreach in order to complete high school. Students have a responsibility to work toward that goal.
Students will be:
- be diligent in pursuing their studies;
- attend the school on a regular but flexible basis to receive small group assistance to complete courses required for graduation (a plan of attendance will be developed during the intake process);
- cooperate fully with everyone authorized by the board to provide education programs and other services;
- comply with the rules of the school;
- respect the rights of others;
- set learning goals to guide their studies;
- work on and complete courses at an agreed-upon schedule;
- meet the academic requirements towards graduation;
- are or learn to be self-motivated; and
- exhibit appropriate behaviour.
Role of Parents/Guardians
Parents/guardians can be supportive of Sacred Heart by:
- keeping in regular contact with the program staff to determine their child(ren)’s progress;
- viewing academic progress on a regular basis through EDSBY
- encouraging attendance at school when needed to complete school work;
- providing transportation to and from this program;
- attending special events at the school;
- volunteering to assist and support teachers in the Outreach Program; and
- attending parent-teacher interviews.
To register for FMCSD Outreach through Fort McMurray Catholic Schools please fill out this registration application form.
FMCSD Outreach is located at:
585 Signal Road, Fort McMurray, AB T9H 4V3
Hours of Operation will be Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
(Appointments will be scheduled for individual and small group tutoring on Fridays)