Students and staff that knew Mrs. Dessureault are invited to join together Monday at 9am in the Father Merc Library a prayer service. #ymm
Yellow Bus Transportation
Yellow School Bus Service
Provided to students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 by Sparksman Transportation through a joint contract with the two Fort McMurray School Districts. Yellow Bus transportation is also provided for some students attending the two Catholic High Schools (refer to High School Bus Service here)
The fee for all students riding Yellow Buses for School Year 2016-17 is set at $250 per school year per student. The fee is discounted by 50% for the 3rd child and any additional child from the same family residing at the same address.
* Students eligible for Yellow Bus Service (see below to determine if eligible for Yellow Bus Service) must complete a transportation request form at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of service. For service in the first week of school, the request form must be submitted on or before Noon on August 29th, 2016 *
Refer to the following pages for:
Request for Transportation Services (for elementary schools only)
* FOR HIGH SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE HIGH SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION PAGE HERE *
Designated Schools and attendance area
Yellow Busses only run in the attendance area of their school. Information on attendance areas and designated schools is available at
Good Shepherd & Father Beauregard Schools
For School Year 2016-2017, Father Turcotte School is the designated Catholic elementary school for all students residing south of the Athabasca River. Yellow Bus transportation is available to Father Turcotte School from all residential areas south of the Athabasca River. This includes:
- Saprae Creek & Prairie Creek
- Grayling Terrace
Once the safe return of residents to standing homes in the restricted areas of Abasand and Beacon Hill is permitted, yellow bus transportation will be available from Abasand and Beacon Hill.
Parents may register their children to a Catholic school outside of their attendance area (Choice School). Yellow Bus service is not available to choice schools except for Ecole St.Paul School and Holy Trinity Catholic High School that offer French Immersion Program and therefore have busses already transporting students from all areas of the Regional Municipality.
Students in the English Program residing outside the attendance area of Ecole St. Paul School or Holy Trinity Catholic High School may access existing Yellow Bus routes if space is available. Priority of access will be provided to eligible French Immersion students. Where available, the fee for choice student transportation is the same as user pay.
Students may choose to be transported from either their home address or from a babysitter’s address, but not both, unless they are on the same route. Students transported from a babysitter’s address must attend the school designated for that area.
In order to be considered an eligible student when transported from a babysitter’s address, the home address of the student is used to determine eligibility (e.g. walking distance from home to school).
The same rule applies for students living at two addresses, transportation can only be provided from one location unless both are on the same route.
For safety reasons, transportation for children in Kindergarten is only available for the morning class. This allows parents to accompany their child to the regular bus stop in the morning and then wait for their child to be dropped-off in the middle of the day while the special ECS bus runs return the children home. If a parent or other designated person is not at the bus stop, the children will remain on the bus and will be returned to school.
For this reason, priority for morning Kindergarten is given to children requiring transportation.
Transportation is not provided to children in the Early Entry Program (EEP).
Specialized Transportation is available to students with disabilities who cannot, because of the severity of their disability/delay, use regular transportation services.
The Student Services Department, in consultation with the Principal and the Secretary-Treasurer, will determine eligibility for Special Transportation and the type of transportation required.
Students requiring Specialized Transportation are required to pay the Yellow Bus Transportation fee of $ 250 per year.
TRANSPORTATION SCHEDULING AND ROUTING
Bus routes, schedules, and stops will be developed by the District in consultation with Sparksman Transportation and the Fort McMurray Public School District.
Designated bus stops have been identified to ensure the walking distance from any residence in a given area will be 0.5 km or less where possible. In order to minimize the length of bus route, designated stops will be at least 0.4 km apart.
Bus routes, schedules and stops are established based on the following criteria:
- Bus scheduling and routing are designed to optimize service at a reasonable cost;
- Routes, schedules and stops will ensure student safety;
- Routes will be established within each school’s attendance area;
- New routes will be established only when full capacity of the existing route has been reached or is imminent;
- Whenever possible, ride times for students should be 60 minutes or less. In exceptional circumstances this may be extended.
- Wherever possible, yellow buses will serve two routes, both in the morning and the afternoon.
Students will be picked up and dropped off at a designated stop. The location of stops shall be determined using the following criteria:
- The distance between bus stops shall be no less than 0.4 km;
- The walking distance from any residence to a designated bus stop should be 0.5 km or less;
- No bus stops will be located less than 1.0 km from the designated school for that route;
- The same bus stops shall be used for all yellow bus routes serving the same neighbourhood;
- The number of bus stops shall be minimized in order to reduce the length of the bus ride as much as possible.
- Except for specialized transportation, students will not be picked-up or dropped-off at their residence.
Get In Touch
Fort McMurray Catholic Board of Education
9809 Main St.
Fort McMurray, AB, T9H 1T7
Phone: 780-799-5700 Fax: 780-799-5706