Jazzy, snazzy evening enjoying Fr. Merc Christmas concert, featuring Beg, Jr, Sr Band and Vocal Charisma. Great job… https://t.co/6cvAmLTmGi
Yellow Bus Transportation (Elementary)
- Available to students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 who live 2.4 kilometres or more away from their designated schools
- Available to most students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 who live between 1.0 and 2.4 km from their designated as an additional service for the convenience of parents. An annual fee of $300 applies as Alberta Education does not fund the transportation of students residing less than 2.4 km from their designated school.
- Yellow bus transportation is NOT AVAILABLE for children in the Early Entry Program as children under the age of 4 1/2 years old are not allowed to ride in a school bus as per Transport Canada regulations.
Yellow bus transportation is only provided within the designated area of each school.
Parents requiring Yellow Bus Transportation for their Children must complete a transportation request form at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of service. To have the student ride on the bus in the first week of school, the request form must be submitted on or before 4 pm on Monday August 28th, 2017 .
Request for Yellow Bus Transportation can be made online using this form :
Request for Transportation Services (for elementary schools only)
For more information, please refer to the following pages:
* FOR HIGH SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE HIGH SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION PAGE HERE *
Designated Schools and attendance area
Yellow Busses only run in the attendance area of their school. Information on attendance areas and designated schools is available at
To determine the distance to your designated school, please use the following link EDULOG WEB QUERY. Enter your address and select: CATH or FCTH (French Immersion) in the Program Field.
Parents may register their children to a Catholic school outside of their attendance area (Choice School). Yellow Bus service is not available to choice schools except for Ecole St.Paul School and Holy Trinity Catholic High School that offer French Immersion Program and therefore have busses already transporting students from all areas of the Regional Municipality.
Students in the English Program residing outside the attendance area of Ecole St. Paul School or Holy Trinity Catholic High School may access existing Yellow Bus routes if space is available. Priority of access will be provided to eligible French Immersion students. Where available, the fee for choice student transportation is the same as user pay.
Students may choose to be transported from either their home address or from a babysitter’s address, but not both, unless they are on the same route. Students transported from a babysitter’s address must attend the school designated for that area.
In order to be considered an eligible student when transported from a babysitter’s address, the home address of the student is used to determine eligibility (e.g. walking distance from home to school).
The same rule applies for students living at two addresses, transportation can only be provided from one location unless both are on the same route.
Specialized Transportation is available to students with disabilities who cannot, because of the severity of their disability/delay, use regular transportation services.
The Student Services Department, in consultation with the Principal and the Secretary-Treasurer, will determine eligibility for Special Transportation and the type of transportation required.
TRANSPORTATION SCHEDULING AND ROUTING
Bus routes, schedules, and stops will be developed by the District in consultation with Sparksman Transportation and the Fort McMurray Public School District.
Designated bus stops have been identified to ensure the walking distance from any residence in a given area will be 0.5 km or less where possible. In order to minimize the length of bus route, designated stops will be at least 0.4 km apart.
Bus routes, schedules and stops are established based on the following criteria:
- Bus scheduling and routing are designed to optimize service at a reasonable cost;
- Routes, schedules and stops will ensure student safety;
- Routes will be established within each school’s attendance area;
- New routes will be established only when full capacity of the existing route has been reached or is imminent;
- Whenever possible, ride times for students should be 60 minutes or less. In exceptional circumstances this may be extended.
- Wherever possible, yellow buses will serve two routes, both in the morning and the afternoon.
Students will be picked up and dropped off at a designated stop. The location of stops shall be determined using the following criteria:
- The distance between bus stops shall be no less than 0.4 km;
- The walking distance from any residence to a designated bus stop should be 0.5 km or less;
- No bus stops will be located less than 1.0 km from the designated school for that route;
- The same bus stops shall be used for all yellow bus routes serving the same neighbourhood;
- The number of bus stops shall be minimized in order to reduce the length of the bus ride as much as possible.
- Except for specialized transportation, students will not be picked-up or dropped-off at their residence.
Get In Touch
Fort McMurray Catholic Board of Education
9809 Main St.
Fort McMurray, AB, T9H 1T7
Phone: 780-799-5700 Fax: 780-799-5706