Let me start by telling you a little about myself. My family has called Fort McMurray home since my husband and I moved here in 1993. We have a son who attends Father Patrick Mercredi School. It is my love of my family and the community that has driven me to become engaged in education and various non-profit organizations throughout the city.
It is no longer a question of if the public needs to invest in the education of the children of Alberta, but what is the most effective way to work together and how that can be accomplished. The historically scripted story of how the parents/guardians and school are to interact has changed as we enter into a shared world within the educational fields. With a child’s primary education starting long before they enter the front doors of the school with their parents/guardians I believe it is through continuing active engagement and open communication that their educational success is secured. I believe that when school and home reach out to one another with genuine interest and support they can build a relationship fostered in mutual respect.
Educational success does not happen on it’s own. It is only through continued partnerships that can we move forward. By linking together with the community we can help bring the wraparound services needed to help each individual student achieve their personal success.
I believe that we need to protect faith-based education in Alberta which has been enshrined in the legislation. We have an opportunity to help instill positive morals and values in our children while respecting the unique value, dignity and gifts God gives each person within the school community.
I offer a humble word of thanks for electing me to represent you as a Trustee on the Fort McMurray Catholic Board of Education. I will continue to be your Alberta School Boards Association’s (www.asba.ab.ca ) Zone 2/3 representative for the board. I accept with gratitude the invitations over the years to attend both school and community events. As we build the infrastructure of life, I look forward to taking the time to constructing bridges of understanding together.
Local Educational Engagement
- Treasurer for Educare for two years
- Chair of School Council for five years at Saint Gabriel School when my child moved into the Catholic School District.
- Helped re-establish the Council of School Councils(COSC) within the Catholic School District where I served as COSC Chair for two years where I helped promote home and school partnership for the betterment of the students within our District.
- Had the honour of attending the Minister’s Education Leadership Recognition Award’s (MELRA) in 2007 and 2010.
- Attended Inspiring Education Conference in 2010 as a parent representative from our District.
- Involved in both Setting The Direction and Inspiring Education when the government had sessions in Fort McMurray to help give our city a voice within a dynamic educational system.
- Past-Chair for Healthy School Advisory Committee Wood Buffalo Region which has brought together the major stakeholders in discussion and action to promote the three pillars of wellness: mental, physical and nutrition within the school systems of Fort McMurray and outlying areas to help the students achieve their own personal academic success.
Provincial Educational Engagement
- Provincial Director (2007-2009) with Alberta School Councils Association. (www.albertaschoolcouncils.ca)
- lead for the Internal Financial Audit Committee
- Prime Minister’s Excellence in Teaching Awards Nomination Review Committee
- helped in the creation of a parent of distinction award within the Awards Committee
- expert panel for Alberta Coalition for Healthy School Communities (ACHSC)
- Emcee for ASCA at the ASCA provincial conference twice.
- Teacher Certification Appeal Committee(CAC)received a Ministerial Appointment to sit on this committee as a representative for ASCA from 2008 – 2010 where I had the unique opportunity to discuss and uphold labor mobility legislation and teacher standards within our province.
Twitter : @TracyMcKinnon
Get In Touch
Fort McMurray Catholic Board of Education
9809 Main St.
Fort McMurray, AB, T9H 1T7
Phone: 780-799-5700 Fax: 780-799-5706